I wanted to write Claire's birth story in my hand written journal first, before here, so that I wouldn't skim over any details. I would rather a shorter version be posted for the world to see, and a more detailed version written where only I can see. That is why it has taken me so long...I've been slowly writing in my journal, and finished it today!
Let's start with the night before. Marianne (my sweet mother in law, if you haven't gather it by now) stayed home with Emily so that Devin and I could go on a date. We had not been on a true date since the last time Marianne watched Emily for us...back in December when we were in Utah for the holidays! I'd say we were due for some time out of the house together, and alone :) We got sushi for dinner and then went to a movie. It was great! Before we left, we took a few pictures of just the 3 of us. Our family as we've known it for almost the past 2 years.


The morning of June 13th started at 6:30am, with a phone call to Labor & Delivery at the hospital...to make sure there was room for me to come in. Turns out there was room, and I was told to come in at 7:30am. Devin and I checked into the hospital, I suited up in my lovely gown and we waited...and waited...and waited...until 9am when my doctor came in, broke my water and started dripping pitocin into my IV. (Pitocin is the drug used to bring on labor/contractions.)

The first 2 1/2 hours were a breeze. I had regular contractions, but they weren't intense enough to stop me from talking, laughing and anticipating the coming events of the day with Devin. We had a fun morning together in our hospital room. By 11:30am, Jennifer (my nurse) came in and could tell that I wasn't in terrible labor, so she upped my pitocin dosage, and from that point on, I considered myself to be in true "active labor." My contractions were 2 1/2-3 min apart, and remained that way throughout my entire labor experience. (With Emily, my contractions felt like they were one on top of another the entire time, leaving me with less than 30 seconds in between each 90 second contraction. So having more than 2 minutes to re-group my thoughts, and gear up for the next one was a very nice change from Emily's labor.)
From 11:30-12:15ish I stayed in the hospital bed, changing my position from sitting completely up, to lying on my left side, and then on my right. I repeated the position changes every few contractions as a mental exercise. I would tell myself, "One more contraction lying on my left side, and then I get to roll over to the my right for 3 contractions." When the bed got old, I moved myself to the birthing ball (basically just an exercise ball) for the next hour or so. By this point, the pain in my back was becoming more and more intense, exactly the same as my labor with Emily. For whatever reason, the majority of the pain I feel during contractions is in my lower back. Devin played a very instrumental role as my personal masseuse for a solid 2 1/2 hours. From about 11:30am-2pm he applied counter pressure, with the palm of his hand, on my lower back during every single contraction (something we never tried last time.) It not only helped me physically, but mentally and emotionally as well. Devin was very present in my labor with Emily, but this time around he was physically engaged with every contraction, and that made me feel like we were that much more of a team in bringing Claire into the world. I really loved relying on him, and he felt useful beyond being a verbal coach for me.
By 1:30ish I wanted to get back in the bed. Right at that time we had a knock at the door, and in walks my dad! We were blown away! We knew he was driving through our area on his way to Wisconsin, but that he was on a tight schedule in order to make a return flight back to Atlanta, from Milwaukee. When we had talked to him earlier that morning, and told him that it didn't look like we would be having the baby before noon, we figured we wouldn't get to see him, as he needed to catch a flight. So in he walks, and there he stayed with us for the next hour. (He said he was going to hop on a later flight.) I never thought that my dad would be with me in the laboring hours leading up to child birth, much less what turned out to be the last hour of my labor. It was a very special experience having him in the room with us. (Let me be clear, he left during the delivery portion of this story, but was present during the last hour leading up to that point.)
Because I chose not to have any medication (beyond the pitocin), I really needed a relaxed environment to help manage the pain of the contractions. With Emily's labor and delivery, I didn't have pre-determined things in mind to think about during each contraction...BIG MISTAKE...because each contraction ended up controlling me, instead of me controlling them (mentally) and allowing them to take their course (physically). So this time around I knew where I wanted my mind to zone out to every 2+ minutes that a contraction came. I had the Mormon Tabernacle Choir channel playing from Pandora. Listening to the hymns provided such a source of strength for me, and made the laboring process a spiritual experience, instead of a miserable, pain enduring one. I would feel the contraction coming on, then close my eyes to let my mind escape to thinking about my mom. I thought about what her experiences must have been like having my two older brothers and me...how she already knew the sweet baby girl that I was soon to meet...how she must be cheering me on, but I just couldn't hear her....and then the contraction would subside, I would open my eyes, and continue whatever conversation we were having. I felt very connected to Heaven in so many ways that day. Thinking about my mom, and then opening my eyes to see my sweet Devin and my dad, made me feel very supported.
Because the doctor broke my water, I had not been checked since 9am. Jennifer said that they didn't want to check me more than needed, to reduce chance of introducing infection to the baby...and that whenever I felt the urge to push, I should obviously let her know. By 2:30pm, when Jennifer walked back in the room, I told her that I thought she should check me. (This is when my dad went to the waiting room.) I prepared myself for Jennifer to tell me that I was a 5 or a 6, so that I wouldn't be disappointed. When I heard her say pleasantly, "Oh wow, you're an 8, and getting really close to delivery!" I was overwhelmed. I had stayed in good control for hours, and it was so relieving to know that all of the work I had done was actually getting me somewhere...somewhere close to finally meeting my sweet baby. I could feel tears streaming down my face. I was so happy that the labor portion was almost over. The delivery is the best part, in my opinion!
My doctor was paged immediately, and by the time he made it to the room I was requesting to push and was fully dilated. The next few minutes happened so fast. I asked the doctor if he was ready, because with the next contraction I wanted to push as hard as I could. He gave me the green light, I heard Devin's encouraging words, the contraction started to come, I pushed, took a deep breath, pushed again, and Claire was born at 3:04pm. One contraction, and 2 good pushes...that's all it took!! The delivery literally was that fast, and that easy. From the time I was checked at an 8, it took 30 minutes for Claire to be born. I am so thankful for such a smooth labor, and fast delivery...but most of all for a HEALTHY BABY!

I really loved my labor and delivery experience with Emily, but I'd have to say that Claire's was a lot less dramatic, and seemed to be easier...probably because I was better prepared.

I really don't like the picture of me, but it's the only one we got of my dad that day!

Here is my fabulous nurse, Jennifer. She was very encouraging, and credible. She had all 4 of her children, un-medicated, and knew some great tips to help me along the way.

And there you have it...Claire's entrance into the world :)

Here is my fabulous nurse, Jennifer. She was very encouraging, and credible. She had all 4 of her children, un-medicated, and knew some great tips to help me along the way.

And there you have it...Claire's entrance into the world :)

6 comments:
Beautiful story Jennie!!!
Teared up during that one. AND became somewhat overwhelmed at the weight of this whole thing (pregnancy/labor/delivery/the unknown). In the next few months I would love to have a good long talk about this.
Love that your dad was there with you and that you thought about your mom while in labor. So sweet! Congratulations to you and Devin and Emily...I knew you would name your second girl Claire because you always told me how much you loved this name :) MISS YOU!!!
wahoo! you amaze me jennie. you look gorgeous in the pics and what a beautiful baby!
Ok, I'm totally in tears over here! I love birthing stories but yours is particularly beautiful. Congratulations! I'm so proud of you for doing that after your first experience :) You are a trooper. Congratulations on your beautiful new baby girl.
You are AMAZING! And totally my hero. I'd always wanted to have natural birth, until I went into labor. :)
Post a Comment