Sunday, August 12, 2012

Perfect Sunday

I love Sunday for so many reasons. It is truly a day of rest, mixed with reflection of the past week and the week to come. It is a day to focus on what matters most (family), and give thanks for all of my blessings...namely the 3 people I share my home and my life with: Devin, Emily and Claire. Sunday is the Lord's day, and it is by far my favorite day of every week. 

I love getting up bright and early to get my little family ready for church, and out the door by 8:30am. I love seeing my girls in their little dresses, Devin looking sharp in his suit and me actually having make up on with my hair down and styled from its usual bun on the top of my head. I love riding up front with Devin and looking back to see our 2 kids in the back seat.  While clapping her hands, I love hearing Emily say, "Chuch, Chuch!"[church] 

I love walking into the chapel, finding an empty pew and seeing familiar, smiling faces greet us as we nestle our family into the bench for the next hour and fifteen minutes. I love passing the girls back and forth with Devin, depending on who Emily wants to sit with at the moment, and doing our best to keep them both content and quiet. I love how excited Emily gets when we open the Hymnal to sing along with the piano and congregation, and how she bows her head and folds her arms when it's time to pray...then looks as Claire and says, "Fold ya ahms Care." I think this morning, in particular, felt extra special because the girls and I have been away from Devin the past 2 Sundays while at the Houck family reunion. I had a warm feeling of gratitude for all that Heavenly Father has blessed me with as I had my arm around Devin while he was holding both of our sweet girls during church. 

 Today was a sweet, perfect Sunday. I love full days, from start to finish, spent with my 3 favorite people...and today was just that! On our drive home, I always have the thought to take a few pictures right after church while we are all looking our best, but then never remember to do it until after we've all changed into our lounge clothes...but today we made it happen.
 (Poor Claire had a small line of spit up/drool coming down from her mouth, and I didn't realize it until we put the cap on the camera.  Oh well.)

PhotobucketPhotobucket EmilyandClaire kisses

I love having 2 little girls!
  Photobucket

We all had afternoon snoozes
  Photobucket

Devin made a delicious homemade bbq chicken pizza...
  Photobucket

...which we ate while watching the Closing Ceremony of my most favorite Olympics to date.
  PhotobucketPhotobucket

And now Emily is in bed, Claire just finished nursing and is content in her swing, and Devin and I are going to play our favorite game...backgammon.
   Photobucket

I love our simple life, and am already beginning to feel sad about this chapter closing in less than a year when Devin graduates and we move onto the next phase..residency. It's going to come quick, I know, but for now I just want to soak up this season of having Claire as our newborn and Emily our toddler!

1 comment:

joshhouck said...

HA! The drool and the slump-over kill me!! Laughing so hard right now. Great pics though ;)