Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Claire Bear

I just want to take a few to dote on this sweet baby girl of mine.
  Photobucket

She is SUCH A GOOD BABY! 

As a baby, Emily brought so much joy to our lives as well, but she and Claire have been vastly different thus far. 

A few traits to give you an insight to Claire: 

Really only needs me when she's hungry every 3 hours. 
 Of course I hold her and give her attention more than that, but there have been days/times where I literally pick her up out of her swing to feed her (after she had been there for 2+ hours already, and then put her right back in the swing when she's nice and full....because of a busy schedule.

Is tolerant of her big sister.
This is a big one.  Emily has mixed emotions about Claire (totally normal) and these mixed emotions manifest themselves simultaneously through out the day.  She will be kissing and hugging Claire, then on a dime, change her mind and push her away forcefully or poke her in the eye.  Claire just rolls with the punches, literally.  She actually looks at Emily adoringly when Emily tries to force feed Claire her binky (Emily absolute favorite thing to do right now.) 

Will take a binky.
This is a big one too.  It is so nice to have a little plug to pop in her mouth during the moments that it's best for her to be mute, ie: church.  Emily NEVER took a binky, which was nice to never have to go through breaking her of the binky habit...but oh my goodness, I now know why some moms let their 3 year old suck on a binky.  They are lifesavers in public!

Is a GREAT sleeper!
Aside from her usual 5 hour stretches in the night (bless her), it is as if she knows the moments that I truly need sleep in order to function the rest of the day....because she will sleep for me, when she normally would be awake, so that I can get some shut eye too.  For instance, when she wakes up anytime between 5-7am, after her 5 hour stretch, I will nurse her, then she will go right back to sleep for me, so that I can sleep a little longer before Emily wakes up.  During the warm months, we put Emily down around 9pm (or later) which translates to her sleeping in until 9-10am....which translates to me getting to go back to sleep until Emily wakes up.  I know...maybe I shouldn't admit that I sleep in that late, but I'm going to own it and be thankful for this phase that I'm sure is quickly fleeting as my kiddos grow.

Is such a snuggler!
I love this!  I love this so much!  She nestles herself right into me whenever I'm holding her.  I especially love our nights together.  She will lay on the bed, right next to me, while Devin and I play backgammon and begin to whine if she's not physically touching me in some way.  She loves touch and is affectionate already.  

Is So Content
After Emily goes to bed, Claire gets Devin and I all to herself, and I hope we are giving her the much needed attention she deserves after taking the back burner to her big sister throughout the day.  Because Emily is 2 now and going through a lot of changes and growing, she is very demanding of our time and attention, and Claire accepts that and allows me to do what I need to do to make sure Emily is receiving all the attention and love she needs right now.  Thank you Claire!

Loves to Smile
Which in turn makes me smile :)  Every time after she eats, I lay her down to change her diaper and she smiles SO BIG at me.  She flails her limbs and coos and smiles, and I just eat it up!  My baby voice goes up to an abnormally high pitch as I encourage her to continue the cheesing. 
      
Photobucket
  
I love this little baby. I knew I would, but I have to be honest, before having her, I worried about how I would share the love that I was used to reserving all for Emily. It is magic how your capacity to love just grows with each new addition. Claire and I have a bond and relationship all our own, different from the bond and relationship that Emily and I have, and I am so grateful for the difference I already see in my two girls. They each have such sweet personalities and qualities that melt me all day long.
  Photobucket

No comments: