Sunday, November 28, 2010

Schaumburg Half Marathon

For about 2 years now I have wanted to run a half marathon, but the timing has never been right to train for one. I ran throughout my pregnancy, and built up some good mileage. I had to take 6 weeks off after Emily was born (ya know, to heal and recover), and I thought that I would have to wait until next Spring to run a half since those 6 weeks brought me to the beginning of October...with the cold season steadily approaching. But I was wrong. A few weeks into October, Melissa (see below Thanksgiving post), told me about a half marathon taking place the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I was immediately interested, and intimidated. I had 7 weeks to get myself ready for this race, but it was really good for me to have a goal to work towards. Emily and I went out for a training run 3 or 4 times a week (Emmie in the jogging stroller), and it was therapy just to get out of the house and enjoy the beautiful fall colors. And, I'm happy to report that yesterday I completed my goal, and ran that half marathon I've been meaning to run for the past 2 years. I wanted to run the whole thing without walking, and I did! I finished in 2 hours and 11 minutes, and felt so good crossing that finish line. Through the past 7 weeks, I've learned that you really can do anything you set your mind to. Melissa was a speedy pants, and finished in 1 hour and 56 minutes. She is a marathon runner, so I felt cool just running the first 4 miles with her. Thank you Melissa for roping me into this race. I had a great experience, and am excited to do another one in the Spring.

This is the only picture I have to show of the event. I didn't have my camera with me, so I couldn't take any pictures before or during the race, but Devin was there at the end, and snagged this picture of Melissa and me.


2 comments:

melissa walker said...

You did awesome! I have a couple of pictures of you coming in at the end that I took on my phone. I will send them to you!

Unknown said...

JENNIE!!! You are awesome...and you ran tghe same time as me...but i ran all downhill so you would probably be faster than me :) and you just had a BABY!!! You ROCK!!! SO Proud of YOU!!!