This post is going to be a massive photo dump recapping our first Christmas season with just our little family of four in Illinois. Ever since I have known Devin, I have spent the past 5 Christmases in Utah at his parent's house for Christmas Eve and morning. I have become used to the Tranter family traditions, and it was strange not getting on a plane to head back to Utah this year. But, it was also really great being in our own home, putting up our own decorations and starting some family traditions of our very own. We were officially grown ups this year all by our lonesome. We really enjoyed the slow paced, ease of a holiday season at home, and feel like it was a success.
So where to start...I guess with the first pics taken of the Christmas season.
Devin made hand print ornaments with the girls one Saturday. What a dad!
Our first year with our own decorations. Loved having all of the nativity scenes from Richard and Marianne displayed.
Had one last fun night with the Wright's before they went back to Utah. Sydney will be there for the next few months while Tom begins his rotations.
Emily's preschool Christmas party
For 3 weeks Emily and Claire were in nursery together at church.
Claire is sitting at the head of the table, and Emily is to her right.
This was Claire's last week hanging out in the halls before she started nursery.
Ward Christmas party
With preschool out for 2 weeks, we had to think of things to do to spice up our days. They actually played quietly at the library for an hour. It was great!
Lots of dress up play
Daddy reading T'was the Night Before Christmas
On Christmas Eve I let the girls take a LONG morning bath after breakfast. (we always take night baths) Just the mix up of the schedule really made them so excited. Oh, the little things!
Devin worked a short day on Christmas Eve and was home in time for us to go to a candle light service at one of our neighbor's church. It was really nice, and we decided we want to make that a tradition. I grew up going to a candle light service, and loved attending one again!
Had to get a few pictures of the girls in their matching dresses :)
I sewed the girls some flannel pajama bottoms and had them open and wear them Christmas Eve night.
On our way home from the service we stopped and got some Chinese take out (another tradition we want to do every year). We ate our Chinese with some Martinelli's while we watched It's a Wonderful Life.
And then it was the magical Christmas morning.
We video chatted with mom and dad Tranter first thing, and they got to watch the girls open the gifts they sent.
Then we video chatted with my dad/family and open their gifts.
These girls were spoiled with so many gifts from so many loved ones!
We had hot chocolate and homemade cinnamon rolls.
Devin really surprised me with a Vitamix!! We have been talking about one for almost a year, and I can't believe he actually made the splurge! I was completely surprised!
One of Devin's favorite gifts was this blow torch for cooking.
We slowly opened gifts all morning, then had the missionaries over so they could use our house to call their families. It wasn't until nighttime that the girls finally opened their stockings.
Dress-up veil
And the fun day sadly came to a close with a family snuggle.























1 comment:
Oh my goodness! Two matching girls, so darling and fun! Glad you guys had a good Christmas. I am glad that even though it was different than normal it was still special and fun. Love your Christmas eve tradition of Chinese food!
Post a Comment