Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 - Retrospectively

The 2nd half of a year always goes fast.  Summer comes to an end, the football games start showing up on the TV, while the cool Autumn air rolls in and blows the leaves to the ground.  The days get shorter with nights starting in the early evening.  Then Halloween comes, and I'm always scrambling for costumes because I'm a procrastinator it comes faster than I ever think it will.  After Halloween, Christmas decor spills onto every display, at the end of every aisle, in every store, and 93.3 becomes my station of choice as I drive to and from Costco singing Christmas carols with my two sidekicks strapped in their car seats behind me.  Then Thanksgiving hits, and I realize that Christmas is only a month away, but then my mind plays tricks on me and I start thinking, "I have a whole month to get Christmas shopping done."  But boy does the month of December go fast, and before I know it, it's Christmas Eve, then Christmas Day and now here I sit typing this on the eve of a brand new year.  

2012 recap:
5 months of separation
1 Trip to Georgia/New Smyrna Beach, FL
Birth of our sweet Claire Bear
1 Family reunion in Hilton Head, SC
1 half marathon
1 move
2 months in Utah with family

Jan - Devin in Iowa.  Jennie & Emily in Utah
Feb - Devin in Michigan.  Jennie & Emily in Chicago
March - Devin in Ohio.  Jennie & Emily in Chicago with a 2 week trip to Georgia
April - Devin in Chicago with Jennie & Emily!
May - Devin in Wisconsin.  Jennie & Emily in Chicago
June - Devin, Jennie & Emily together in Chicago and Claire joined us half way through the month :)
July-Oct - Our family of 4 together while Devin rotated each month around Chicagoland
Nov - Moved out of our duplex in Illinois.  Temporarily settled in the Tranter basement in Utah.
Dec - Devin in Texas; Jennie, Emily & Claire in Utah

This very day, one year ago, I was dreading the start of 2012.  It was my last day with Devin before he left Emily and me for several months.  At 5am on Jan. 1st I drove him to the airport in Provo, UT so he could catch a flight to Chicago and then drive to Waterloo, Iowa for his first month of rotations.  I was 17 weeks pregnant with Claire, and had been sadly anticipating the many months of separation that 2012 would bring for Devin and me.  I cried heavily and prayed fervently my entire 45 minute drive home from the airport after saying goodbye to Devin.  I did not want to do what 2012 would require of me.  I was nervous to do the parenting thing alone.  I was nervous for Devin and all the challenges that he would face everyday at each rotation.  I was sad that I wouldn't physically be there for him at the end of every long day of his to lift his spirits and give him encouragement.  I was sad that he was going to miss so much of Emily's development, and so much of my pregnancy.  It was going to be a BIG year, with hard things we had never dealt with before.  It was going to be a BIG year ushering in one very beautiful thing...CLAIRE MARIANNE!  

I am proud of Devin and myself for the things we both accomplished individually and together.  I am proud of the little family we have been blessed with, and am so very proud of the dedication Devin devoted to 12 rotations... month, after month, after month after month.  I am proud to be able to say, after reflecting upon the past year, that while it was difficult and lonely at times, it was also filled with joy that I didn't expect to have.  I am grateful that this year is behind us.  Devin has 3 more rotations to complete before he is FINISHED WITH MEDICAL SCHOOL!  

We are so so close, and I am thrilled and ready for what 2013 will bring: 
More time in Utah
1st vacation alone with Devin since our honeymoon!
Medical School Graduation
Moving to a new place
Starting residency

1 comment:

Kajsa and Fam said...

I have thought of you lots of times over this past year. Glad you guys have made it through and hope you have a great 2013!