I am the Beehive Advisor (Sunday teacher for the 12-13 year old girls) at church, and have been for over two years now. Every two years, the youth take a trip to a church history site (we live within driving distance of Independence, Missouri, Kirtland, Ohio, Winter Quarters, and Nauvoo, Illinois.) A few months after Devin and I first moved to Illinois, we both were able to go on the youth trip to Independence, Missouri. And now 2 years later, I was able to go with the youth to Nauvoo, Illinois. Devin and I went to Nauvoo in the winter, when I was pregnant with Emily. (I blogged about that trip HERE.)
Going with the youth, in autumn, was a different experience. We had a great time being hyper, staying up late, waking up early, touring the little town and experiencing the history and spirit of Old Nauvoo. For those of you who might not know the significance of Nauvoo for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, you can read about the history and events that happened there between 1839-1845 HERE. The early church members were persecuted beginning in New York, then Pennsylvania, then Ohio, then Missouri, and finally in Nauvoo, Illinois before they embarked on their 1300 mile trek/walk/journey across the plains and into the Salt Lake valley...where church headquarters are today. The LDS church speaks often of the sacrifices made by the people in Nauvoo. After being driven out of so many other states, they found refuge that only lasted 6 years in Nauvoo, before Brigham Young (the next prophet after Joseph Smith was murdered) led the way to Salt Lake City.
Today, the little town of Nauvoo is one big museum. Old homes and shops have been restored, the temple has been rebuilt (after it burned and then was hit by a tornado in the 1800s), and visitors pay tribute to those early saints (as we like to call them) that did so much to move the church forward.
The beautiful temple!
We went on a horse drawn wagon ride, and got a tour of the area. Our tour guide told so many historical stories of the people that once lived in Nauvoo. I love history!


The Mississippi River runs right along the west border of Nauvoo.
My beehives, me, and the other beehive leader Carolyn at the Visitor's Center.
We were able to go to the temple, and what a special experience it was to be in there with the youth. It's a beautiful temple inside and out! (can you find me? hint, I'm on the left)

My beehives, me, and the other beehive leader Carolyn at the Visitor's Center.
We were able to go to the temple, and what a special experience it was to be in there with the youth. It's a beautiful temple inside and out! (can you find me? hint, I'm on the left)
Missionary couples (retirees) come to Nauvoo for 18 months to run all the home and shop tours that all visitors enjoy free of charge. At night they put on an hour long stage performance highlighting the historical events that took place in Nauvoo. They dress up in 1800 attire, and are very entertaining.


On Sunday after church, we drove to Carthage, Illinois to tour the Carthage Jail. This is the jail that the prophet Joseph Smith was murdered in, along with his brother Hyrum. Both were being held in the jail for false charges. This was not the first jail that these brothers lived in together. In several different areas across the midwest, they were brought to jail (unconstitutionally) in an effort to drive the Latter Day Saints out of their area.

We then came back to Nauvoo and walked the "Trail of Tears". It is the walk that the saints walked as they were leaving Nauvoo for the last time, and crossing over the Mississippi to head west. Along the trail were monuments every few feet. Each monument has a quote from various pioneers that kept a journal of this time. Very moving and inspiring to read what the people wrote about the hardships they had faced, and would face on their journey to Utah.


We then came back to Nauvoo and walked the "Trail of Tears". It is the walk that the saints walked as they were leaving Nauvoo for the last time, and crossing over the Mississippi to head west. Along the trail were monuments every few feet. Each monument has a quote from various pioneers that kept a journal of this time. Very moving and inspiring to read what the people wrote about the hardships they had faced, and would face on their journey to Utah.
This trip was a great one! Devin was kind enough to stay home with Emily for 3 days so I could go. Thank you! I was wiped out at the end of it though (actually I was wiped out in the middle of the first day).




2 comments:
What a great post--someday I am going to get on one of the youth trips!
This is so great! I've never been there and to have the chance to take a bunch of youth... very very cool!
Post a Comment