It is not uncommon for me to wake up, look out the window, and see this waiting for me to come play in on my way to work.
Another night we got invited to Brian and Kira's for dinner and games. We hung out with 2 different groups of friends in 1 week...we actually felt like we had a social life...and FRIENDS! Here are the guys prepping for our Root Beer taste testing.
Brian and Kira bought all different kinds of root beer, and we blindly tasted each one to try to guess which one was which. To my surprise, Barqs was the NASTIEST!
And the gorgeous wives...
Devin had a week off in February, so we decided to take a trip to Nauvoo. I took off work on Friday, and we made it a 3 day weekend. It was only a 4 1/2 hour drive from our apartment, and when we pulled into town, we headed straight for this glorious site!
I mean...how impressive is this temple?! It was absolutely breath taking!

Devin took this picture...I thought it was very artistic.
This is one of the original sun stones from the first Nauvoo temple built in the 1840's. So cool!
We spent 3 days visiting old time sites. It was fascinating to learn all about what these pioneer people had to do on a daily basis just to get through the day...and life for that matter.
Here Devin and I were learning how to make rope.
We went on a horse drawn wagon ride all around the cute town, and had our own personal tour guide speaking from a microphone in the back. I love horses!
This is the tinsmith shop
On Saturday morning we made some time to go to the temple...and oh my goodness...if you think the outside is pretty....
We stayed in this cute little cabin community. Our cabin was the smallest, but it was so cozy! It felt like we were back in time...but with all of the modern conveniences. Best of both worlds. We LOVED this cabin!
Me watching the blacksmith work his magic
This is the pioneers version of a potty training toilet. I laughed so hard when I saw this.
How pioneer women baked...
This is a shot of the adorable little main street.
And at sunset. Devin took about 10 of these. He loved the sunset with the town and the tip top of the temple.
Bad picture, but a shot of the senior mission couples dressed in their pioneer attire. They made our trip so fun and memorable!
Devin loves making cow calls...except this was an oxen.

Here are a few shots of the inside of the cabin...


Sunday, before we headed out, we made a very important stop to Carthage, Illinois. For those of you who may not know, this is where Joseph and Hyrum Smith was martyred in June, 1844. A very somber place, where so much history lies. This is the exact jail house, with the original floors, walls, windows, doors, etc. on the inside.

Our trip to Nauvoo was a much needed get-a-way, and very inexpensive one at that. I learned so much about the early years in the LDS church, and have gained a new appreciation for all that the pioneers went through before settling in Salt Lake City.
How random is this...My Italy study abroad side kick and roommate from senior year of college was 10 minutes away from Lake Bluff (where we live) on business. I met up with her for dinner and some very much needed catch up time. We talked for about 4-5 hours that night. Oh Marthe...I love our long talks! Just FYI...I was wearing heels, and Marthe was wearing flats....that's why I look like a giant!

3 comments:
dang jennie you look SO good! sounds like you have had some good weeks, i love that you had a root beer tasting party. nauvoo looks so zamaing, i really want to go there!
JENNIE!!! CONGRATULATIONS. That's SO exciting that you're expecting. And you're already 18 weeks along?? I remember when I was pregnant with Kenzie. I COULDN'T WAIT to find out if we were going to have a boy or a girl. I'll bet you're anticipating it just as much as I did. I'm so happy for you! And what a fun little trip to Nauvoo. I'm jealous. I've never been there. Glad you had such a wonderful time. And I'm so glad you've had such a wonderful pregnancy thus far. What a blessing!
That is awesome that you guys do some traveling together. That sounds like a neat trip I would love to do that one day. I can't believe all that snow you guys got slammed!
Post a Comment