This past Saturday, Devin did something that very few people can do, mentally and physically. 3 years ago, we both rode a 100 mile bike race in Heber, Utah, and loved it. Since then, our lives have taken us to Illinois, given us a baby, and kept Devin super busy with school...so we haven't been able to train for another Century. We go for bike rides together now that we have Emily's bike trailer, but nothing extreme or more than 20 miles at a time. Devin went for a ride last Thursday, 33 miles, and upon his arrival home, he said, "So I am going to ride 100 miles on Saturday" (2 days later). And you know what, HE DID IT! He has so much drive when he puts his mind to something. He drafted up a route, that was extremely boring and monotonous if you ask me, but he firgured out a way to get 100 miles in around the area we live. 100 miles is a long way, so he ended up riding the same bike paths 4 different times. He was out of the house by 7am (I unfortunately was not up to get a picture of him before he left) and was finished with his ride by 3pm. It was a cold, windy and lonely ride for Devin, but he did it! I am so proud of him! He has looked for organized century rides in our area, but all of them are held on Sundays, which would not work...gotta keep that Sabbath Day holy!
(By the way, he didn't do this ride to get praise from anyone, and is actually against me posting about his accomplishment, but it's not every day that you decide to go ride 100 miles on your bike!)
Emily and I met him on the bike path when he stopped to eat his first sub sandwich. He had done 42 miles at this point.
And then we saw him off. GO DADDY!


Unfortunately, that was the only time we got to see him during his ride. Miss Emily took a 3 hour nap during the other times he passed by the bike path near our house. But I was able to talk to him on the phone several times. He has bluetooth head phones that he can answer and talk when his phone rings, while he's biking. So I called him a lot and tried to be a llittle cheerleader in his ear.
And then we saw him off. GO DADDY!

Unfortunately, that was the only time we got to see him during his ride. Miss Emily took a 3 hour nap during the other times he passed by the bike path near our house. But I was able to talk to him on the phone several times. He has bluetooth head phones that he can answer and talk when his phone rings, while he's biking. So I called him a lot and tried to be a llittle cheerleader in his ear. He came right in and laid on the floor for a while...and Emily clapped every time I would say, "Yay Daddy, you did it!" It was cute.




2 comments:
Unbelievable! I don't know how people do that to their bodies, I think it's awesome.
Love that little girl of yours, give her a squeeze for me.
Great job Devin. And I love that you two were such great cheerleaders! Support teams make it all worth it!
Post a Comment