Saturday, May 21, 2011

The McDonough's

Last weekend, Jen and Dave came to visit. We have been anticipating their trip since we moved from Utah almost 2 years ago. Dave had an orthodontic conference in Chicago, and Jen came along for the fun. I picked them up Thursday evening, and we dropped them off at Midway Sunday evening. It was so fun having them here, showing them around our little world, and laughing, laughing, laughing. What great family they are!


I dropped them off at the train station Friday morning for them to go into the city for the conference. I felt like a mom taking these pictures as I sent them off on a fun day.






You would think on Jen's time off from being a mom of 4, that she would not want to hold and entertain a baby...not the case. Any time Emily was awake, Jen was holding her.


Dave's brother Aaron is also an orthodontist, and was in town with his wife and brand new baby boy. They drove up to have dinner with us Friday night. We drove them down to the beach right by where we live, and the boys had to go take a look at the huge fresh water ocean that is Lake Michigan.







Ferrentino's Pizza


Aunt Jen and Emmie


The whole group


Emily actually snuggled with me while we said prayers before putting her down for the night. Had to capture this rare moment! She usually gives me the stiff arm...very independent


Uncle Dave


Headed into the city before taking them to the airport


On our drive down we stopped at Michael Jordan's house. This gate is all we could see of it, but boy does he live close to us. We had no idea how close....like less than 10 minutes away! We googled what his house looks like beyond this gate, and WOW...he is a rich man!


We also stopped to see the Home Alone house...kinda cool


We took them up to the top of the Hancock building for the views of the city. This is in the Women's bathroom.


Got some chicago pizza...Emmie loved being in her own seat.


Look at Emily's huge cheese face...best part of this picture!


All along the outside of The Tribune Tower are several different pieces of buildings all over the world. It was really cool how much world and American history is physically represented on this one building. Here we are by a piece of the Salt Lake Temple!

Jen and Dave on the bridge crossing the Chicago River


And me and Jen


Had to take them to the BEAN


And here we are dropping them off at the airport. It was sad to say goodbye, and of course their trip went way too fast. Good thing we'll see them in 3 short months for Matt's wedding!



2 comments:

Dave and Jen McDonough said...

This post has made me so HOMESICK for you and Chicago! We had SUCH A WONDERFUL time! Thank you for everything! I LOVE the picture of Emmy cheesing it at the Pizza joint and I love the picture of me snuggling her and I love the picture of the boys at the beach and everyone dressed warmly except for Devin and I love the Bean and the Train and I love them all, except for the one where we're leaving. It makes me want to cry all over again! We love you guys and wish Matt was getting married next week! LOVE YOU GUYS!

Marianne said...

I can't believe what a central destination spot Chicago has become for all of your family and friends. You certainly do a great job of making everyone feel so welcome and pampered. When I see pictures of little Emily, it makes me wish I was the one snuggling her! Oh we love and miss you!!!