Tuesday, January 18, 2011

January Blues

Who else is having the January blues, because I sure have been! It's inevitable. Every year, after the holidays are over, after the last caramel/chocolate fudge/piece of pie/cup of egg nog/etc. has been devoured, after the family all separates and gets back to their individual realities, and after snow isn't a magical winter wonderland prop rather the object being shoveled so you can get out of the driveway in the morning.....those January blues hit me....and they hit me hard. This year was especially hard for me. I've always had either school or work to get back to. In other words, I have always had something to keep me occupied to take my mind off of the blues. But not this year. This is the first year that I haven't had any responsibility but taking care of Emily. Now, don't get me wrong; being able to stay home with Emily is a HUGE blessing and I wouldn't have it any other way. She is 5 months old now, and I am still learning and adjusting to my new role as a mom. Before it got bitter cold outside, Emily and I at least got out once a day. I trained for that half marathon, and Emily was in the stroller and with me on all my training runs. That outing everyday proved to be therapeutic for me, and I'm realizing it now that we don't have the environment to get outside. I have had to battle with the TV every day instead. It's a love/hate relationship really. I'm thankful to have some entertainment during certain parts of the day, but I have to be disciplined to turn it OFF and do other productive things so that it doesn't consume me. A day of watching TV leaves me nothing but empty, and definitely does not progress me spiritually, physically, mentally....at all! So I have a few shows I watch, and then the rest of my time is spent trying to strengthen the aforementioned departments of my life. In effort to kick these January blues, I want to touch on all the things/areas in my life that I'm thankful for as I make my way through this month.

I'm thankful for the opportunity I have to work with the Young Women at church. I teach the 12-13 year olds a lesson each Sunday, and attend their youth activity each Wednesday. Being involved with them has been such a great thing to devote my time to.

I'm thankful for my brother Matt letting me copy his INSANITY workout videos. While I would much rather be active outside, having these workout videos to do during the cold months has given me an opportunity to sweat everyday. Emily likes watching me do them too. She sits in her exersaucer and watches me the whole time. She'll kick her legs and wave her arms when I start moving fast...so she's getting her exercise too.

I'm thankful for Emily's growing personality. It seems like every day she gets a little more interactive and smart. She greets me with a huge smile every time I get her out of her crib, and it is so easy to make her laugh. She is the sweetest little baby, and I'm thankful that she's my buddy all day every day.

I'm thankful for Devin. After having 2 solid weeks with him over the holidays, it's been hard to give him back to the slave driver (aka, school), but I'm so thankful he is as hardworking and driven as he is. He has already brought home some good grades these past 2 weeks....I only wish I could display them on the fridge...every thing is electronic these days!

Lastly, I'm grateful for the opportunity I have every day to learn about the Gospel of Jesus Christ...if I choose to do so. It does take effort to read, and pray, and use the resources that are abundantly available all around me...but when I spend time applying myself in learning about the Lord and what matters most to Him, my day is so full, and I am the best me I can be.

The more I read my thankful list, the more my blues are subsiding. I hope yours are too!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I completely understand the January blues! Hate it! And it really is so much harder when you are home all day. Not getting out of the house has been killing me since Miles is too young to take anywhere (plus sick).

Thanks for the idea of making a list of things to be thankful for. That really helps to focus on the positive.

joshhouck said...

Hang in there! It's all about "stepping outside your situation." Keep a big picture and focus on the things that are really important and keep you happy. I've had to do a lot of that in Saudi.

Good luck!