Thursday, September 25, 2008

Feeling the Nerves

So last summer when I moved to Utah I started riding my cousin Amber's garage sale mountain bike around Hoytsville, Coalville, Wanship, and when I got really confident I would venture out to Park City and Oakley as well. It was during those 2 1/2 months of riding (before the frigid cold winter hit) that I realized I am not a runner...but a biker instead. For years, since senior year of high school, I have been running, entering 5ks, trying to motivate myself enough to register for 1/2 marathons, but never going through with it....and it's all because I realized that while I thought I liked running...I really don't. I mean sure, running 3 or 4 miles is entertaining and enjoyable, but anything more than that to me is torture. So at the end of September 2007, I set a goal for myself. That sometime during the warm season of 2008, I was going to buy a road bike, get really comfortable riding around on the roads, and train for a century road race (100 miles...hence the word "century".) Once April hit, I started looking on KSL and Craigslist for decently priced road bikes....but after a few months and finding nothing, my goal was seeming bleak to accomplish. Thankfully, I found a bike on KSL at the beginning of July, started riding immediatly, and have just absolutely LOVED my new found exercise passion. Cheesy sounding to use the word passion, I know...but very true. I now understand the feeling that marathon runners express when they say how much they love running for hours and hours. Well, I did a 50 mile race at the end of August, loved it so much, and signed up for the Heber Valley Century ride this saturday September 27th. I'm really excited....and have started feeling the nerves. For the month that I have been registered for this race, I have been thinking that I'm riding by myself. I ride by myself a lot, so it wouldn't be too bad, but having someone ride with me would be much better and more enjoyable. Devie to the rescue! Last Friday Devin bought himself a road bike on KSL, we went for a long ride last saturday around Sandy, Draper, and up to the top of Suncrest....and on Tuesday he registered himself for the race in 2 days! I am so happy that he is going to do it too. My excitement for the race is on a whole new plain knowing that not only will I have someone riding with me, but I'll have my sweet Devie!! It can't get much better! So...8am this saturday morning Devin and I will be starting out on our 100 mile ride...think about us...and while you're at it, say a little prayer that we'll live to tell you about it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you guys will do soooo good...can't wait to hear about your first place ;)

cait & darren mower said...

Jennie! GOOD LUCK! If I know you, and I like to think that I do, you will kick century butt! Can't wait to hear about it!

donna<3 said...

i love you