Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Our Great Escape


 Emily, Claire and I escaped the frigid, snowy winter of Chicago and headed south for 2 full weeks.  I didn't realize how much I needed to emerge from my snow cave until the first day we arrived in Georgia and Michael and I went running outside in shorts and a t-shirt.  The outdoors mixed with exercise is my ultimate therapy, and I got 2 full weeks of outdoors.  It was amazing!!  

:: HIGHLIGHTS ::

Fabulous family time!  I saw all of my siblings, finally met Michael's girlfriend Perry and caught up on lots of card playing.  

Dad and Mary live right on the lake and right next to the bike/running path.  They watched the girls while I went running in the mornings...with no stroller to push...I could pump my arms and not have to be interrupted by little ones annoying each other.  

We spent a few mornings at their gym.  I haven't lifted weights at a gym in years, and it felt so good!  

The girls got their fair share of playground and outdoor exploration time

Mornings/evenings listening to music on the deck while Emily rode the tricycle and Claire swept leaves. 

 Mary spoiling me 2 days in row with lunch and shopping!  

Much needed catch up with great friends in the city, sans children.  

A pedicure paid for by Summer!  I loved sitting in the message chair, with my feet in that hot water, and looking at junk magazines while getting my feet taken care of!  Ultimate pampering!

::: But before any of that happened, we had to first get ourselves to Atlanta :::

We flew standby, and had a rough time getting out of Chicago.  We spent 6 hours one morning/afternoon trying to leave from O'Hare Airport, with no such luck.  But there was a great kid play area where we spent a lot of time in between trying for flights.





Emily was super disappointed when we didn't end up getting on an airplane that day, and instead had to come back to our house.  When I went in her room to check on her before I went to bed, I found her with her pilot hat on.  


The next morning we tried leaving out of Midway Airport, and was successful on the first flight of the day...6am!  It was a very early morning, but as soon as we got to Matt and Summer's house, we got our 2nd wind.  We stayed there for the first few days, and it was so fun having some cousin time for the girls.  









We had some fabulous walks outside!




One of the main reasons we flew to Georgia when we did, was to be able to see Josh while he was in town for his big Delta interview.  It was great to be there and celebrate him getting his dream job, Delta pilot, that he has worked towards for the past 16 years, since his freshman year of college.  I am beyond proud of him, and so happy it all worked out the way it should!  We went El Ranchero the night he got the job.





The aforementioned deck/backyard time





Michael bought them a bubble maker they loved!




Backgammon with dad, just like old times.


Dad and Mary took us to the Georgia Aquarium, and it was a success.  The tanks were massive, the marine life impressive and the company perfect.












Dinner with Kathleen and Laura.


Lunch with Melanie, Jennifer and Marti.


Claire and Grammy before one of her flights.



 Golf cart ride to get BBQ for dinner.





The golf cart ran out of battery before we made it home, so we walked the last half mile in the dark, and the girls LOVED it!  


Lots of music playing on the piano



Bath time with different toys than the ones from home....way more exciting.



Both of the days Mary took me shopping, grandpa took the girls to the playground...











 We taped the Oscars, so that Emily could see the performance of "Let It Go".  And oh boy, did she see it...over and over and over again.  She was entranced!


Tickles with Uncle Matt


And can you tell how much Emily loves Aunt Summer?  


Last time they were all together.  The Houck cousins!


And then sadly, our fun trip came to an end.  We had SUCH A GREAT TIME!!  It stunk to leave a warm climate only to be welcomed back to Chicago with a snow storm the very first full day we were home.  BUT, we missed our main man, and were all happy to see Devin.  He had dinner made, the fridge stocked with my favorite things, my van washed/waxed/vacuumed and the house pretty well cleaned up.  We all snuggled in bed together when we got home from the airport and showed Devin our pictures...then took this one.


No comments: