I had a great Mother's Day. I got a sweet "Hoppy Mudders Day" good morning greeting from Emily when Devin got her out of her crib...followed by some hugs and kisses from a messy haired, puffy eyed, freshly woken little 20 month old. Her growing vocabulary and outward signs of affection melt me more and more each day. Emily was super clingy during Sacrament, but the kind of clingy that was really sweet and made me feel so loved. She wanted to sit in my lap most of the time. She laid her head on my shoulder and threw her arms around my neck, playing with my hair and necklace. Next, she would look up at me and give me a huge smile and sweet kiss, then bury her head again on my chest. Did she know it was Mother's Day?! I got a delicious dark chocolate cookie from the Young Men passing them out in baskets at the end of Sacrament meeting at church. I came home to the perfect after church/mid-afternoon appetizer: fresh watermelon and steamed artichoke with a melted butter/lemon juice dipping sauce. So good! Emily took a decent 2 hour nap, and I was able to fall asleep for a little bit as well. I woke up to a homemade card from Devin and Emily. Cards are my absolute favorite, and there was some good stuff written in this one. We got to webcam with mom and dad Tranter which is always a treat. For dinner, Devin made me my latest craving: shishkabobs on the grill, and the night was so perfectly pretty we set up our camping chairs in front of the garage and ate our kabobs while Emily joyfully ran around with her bubble bucket. To end the night, we all sat together on the twin bed in Emily's room and sang hymns (requested by Emily...this girl LOVES music) and had sweet time together before putting the little angel to bed. What a simple and great day with my two (soon to be three) loves.
I have always had appreciation for the women in my life who have played a part in growing me up and instilling morality, virtue, self respect, and love and concern for others into the lessons they taught me. BUT, I appreciate them 1000 times more ever since becoming a mother myself. I know that my appreciation will only continue to deepen as I continue to go through each phase of motherhood. Thank you to my grandmothers, mothers, aunts, friend's mothers, and cousins who have nurtured and loved me.
I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to be a mother. While I have challenging days, there is no other way I would rather spend my day than being with, nurturing, and enjoying the company of my sweet Emily. She amazes me, and I'm trying to get better at really creating and holding onto the special moments that we get to have together each day. I am grateful to be able to use my role as a mother and wife to apply gospel principles. Who better to practice developing servitude, selflessness, sacrifice, unconditional love and acceptance, long suffering and patience than with Devin and Emily? Definite work in progress and will be for the rest of my life, but I am so grateful that I have an eternal family to enjoy and work for.

No comments:
Post a Comment