Today is May 10th...I am due June 10th...and as of this week, the symptoms of "nesting" have begun to set in. All of the 0-3 month clothes as well as blankets and burp cloths have been washed, folded and nicely organized into Emily's dresser. I have completely gone through Emily's closet and organized her old clothes so that they will be easy to pull out when this new baby gets to each age/stage. In doing this, I made room so the baby will have 2 of the 5 drawers of Emily's dresser. I did the big Babies R Us run, in which I purchased everything from a new tube of diaper rash cream, to nursing pads (another year of nursing begins in 1 month...mixed feelings about this one), to stocking up on onsies, onsies and more onsies in all colors, prints and sizes (newborn and 0-3 mo). Aside from getting newborn diapers, I feel completely prepared to have this baby and bring her home. That's a good feeling.
Now, I just really want to enjoy and savor this last month of being a family of 3. I've shared this many times before...I go into Emily's room every night to watch her sleep, and on nights she looks too irresistible, I scoop her up and rock her for a while (this happens at least every other night). Lately, my thoughts have been reflective on how quickly she has gone from being my newborn to being my almost 2 year old who is now talking and communicating with me all throughout the day. I look down at her sleeping and think of how much her little world is going to change soon, and pray that she loves her new little sister (I'm about 99% sure she will, we talk about the baby all the time).
If you would have asked me a month ago, I would have said that this pregnancy flew by and I am no where near physically and/or mentally ready for this new baby to make her debut. But now I am feeling more and more anxious to meet her, and to start figuring out how to do our new family of 4 life. Amazing how Heavenly Father prepares us to be ready for each new phase, as we're on the home stretch of the previous one, right when we need the courage and excitement to embrace what is inevitably coming. I am so blessed in so many ways!
And here we are at 36 weeks...

Emily seriously kisses my belly 100 times a day. She will randomly come up to me, not look at me, but instead have her own little moment with the baby. I have no idea if she really "gets it", but I really like thinking she does. You can't tell, but she is giving kisses in the below shot.

A few weeks ago Emily and I were in bed, and I was trying to get the baby to move while Emily was touching my belly. I patted the belly and said, "Wake up baby!" Ever since, after Emily kisses the baby, she proceeds to pat (sometimes slap) my belly and says, "Wake up baby!" while laughing. I think she likes the excuse to tap/pat/slap.

Side story... after talking on the phone with my grandparents on Sunday night, I came back to our room on to find this scene. Emily is super into Winnie the Pooh right now, and it's pretty much the only way we can coerce her into sitting still and snuggling with us. Devin baited her with an episode of "Pooh Beawr and Pigget", while tickling her face, so he could get his snuggle fix.


No comments:
Post a Comment