Devin has been studying his brains out, really for the past 2 years, but most recently this past semester and more specifically the past month as all of his classes have come to an end with finals. I am just so PROUD of all the hard work he puts into every single day! I have never known a more dedicated, disciplined, hardworking, and goal pursuing person than Devin. I say this to a lot of people, that whenever I have days where I feel sorry for myself because we are in a phase that doesn't allow us to travel or do spontaneous/fun outings...I am quickly reminded that I would much rather be doing what I get to do, than what Devin has to do each day. I get to hang out with our girl all day long, while Devin rotates himself between 4 libraries (ya know, for a change of scenery.) Whenever he is studying at the library closest to our house, Emily and I will pop in and surprise him. I survey his surroundings, see how boring a place he's in, and think about how many hours he has spent staring at those cinderblock walls going over and over his note cards, and I am just so grateful that he is dedicated enough to work as hard as he does for a future that we both want for our life/family.
Yes, Devin's second year is over, but the studying is still in full swing. He takes boards July 13th, and from now on, all of his studying will be focused on that dreaded day. Today, he started his first Capstone course; Radiology. For 6 weeks he will be in the clinic next to the school from 9am-5 or 6pm, and then he'll need to hit the books hard for the remainder of the night preparing for boards. Only 5 more weeks of misery (for him) and then he will have a little more of his life back....and I will have more of my husband back!
I really wanted to go away for the weekend before he started his Radiology capstone, but Devin, being the dedicated student he is, said that he just couldn't justify going away as he needed to fit in study time here and there. He promises we will go on a weekend trip after July 13th! I'm going to hold him to that! I have a few places in mind: St. Louis, Notre Dame, or Springfield, IL (Lincoln Memorial sites). I want to go to all 3 before the next winter season hits.
While we didn't go away this weekend, we did spend a very fun day in Chicago. I had Devin from sun up to sun down and beyond with no study interruptions. It was a fabulous day! We spent the majority of our time at Lincoln Park Zoo. It started out BLOODY HOT (my new favorite phrase) but if cooled off as the evening approached.

Emmie had a few melt downs, but for the most part she did pretty well.
Emily really liked the bird house. No birds pictured here, but she stared at them for a long time.
This couple had an umbrella, and we made fun of them for it, but later the joke was on us...the skies poured down rain and we had to seek shelter for about a half hour.
We watched the giraffes for a while. Their tongues were amazing!
Our absolute favorite was the polar bear. He was awesome and so entertaining! Devin and Emily watching him from above his pool tank.
And they had this viewing window under the water too. The bear kept swimming in circles and would come right up to the window for incredible photo ops!

We walked to this adorable bakery/sandwich shop to re-fuel. Turkey sandwiches and cheesecake brownies!! YUM!
Family photo
I really wanted a 7 Eleven Slurpee. a 44oz was on sale for 69 cents. SCORE!
And we ended the day eating home-popped popcorn and watching a movie. It was a blissful day of fun and family time. Who knew a bunch of smelly zoo animals could make for such a fun day?
And this was one wiped out little pup at the end of the day. We always check on her every night before we go to bed, and this is how we foound her...all sprawled out and snoozing. So cute!

3 comments:
how fun! i LOVE visiting that zoo with my sis-isn't it the best?! good luck with the next few weeks before boars...call if you get lonely!
I loved getting all caught up on your blog - there is so much to comment on. I LOVE your hairdo! You look beautiful with long or short hair so this will be a gorgeous change even if you grow it long again. And Emily is crawling!! WOW! It is hard to believe she may be walking by the time we see her again. And what a cool picture of the polar bear at the zoo. I think he thinks Emily looks delicious!!!! Good thing that glass is very thick... Love, MOM
LOVE the hair cut! It looks great on you! And I miss your cute face. May I add our place to your possible destination list? :) I won't lie, St Louis is much more fun, but it would be fun to see you guys and meet that baby. Maybe we could make it your way soon.
Post a Comment