Last night, at 9:30, the power went out. It's an eery feeling when it's all the sudden dark around you, knowing you have no control in the matter of getting the lights to come back on. We don't have air conditioning in our house (You don't have to say it...I KNOW!!) and we have been heavily relying on our big huge fans every night to make it comfortable to sleep...well, not last night, unfortunately. We literally slept on top of the sheets, and didn't even come close to each other for fear it would compound the heat (literally, not figuratively). It took me a little while to fall asleep, and while lying there, I thought, "How in the world did people survive before electricity was invented? I was born in 1984 for a reason!" Think about it...no electronics (tv, computer, phones)...no lights...no fans...no blow dryers...no kitchen appliances...etc. Think about how much more difficult life was before all of these luxuries!!
Today was a day of the simple life. For the lack of aforementioned fans, I put Emily in a onsie and tried to keep her as cool as possible. She was a good sport. During her 2 naps I wrote in my journal and broke out one of my mom's old journals...from 1986. It was so great to read about her life...from her perspective. It has been a while since I last read from her journals, and today's power outage was a blessing in disguise. I learn several new things about my mom's life each time I read her entries...I love it! I also realized that I am not prepared for a natural disaster as far as 72 hour kits, safety kits, etc. kits goes. Thank goodness we had running water, otherwise we would have seriously been up a creek...without a paddle...and without the water...just us, in our boat, on dry land, and stuck!
Since Emily has been crawling, she requires our constant attention. We remember that we acquired a fence from a family at church last year while I was pregnant, and decided today was the day to cage our little lion cub. We have been putting her in her pack n play whenever we need to focus on something and cannot devote 100% attention to Emily (ie: taking a shower). But today she seemed to really appreciate her new habitat we built for her. Several pictures documenting Emily's cage starts now...
Don't let this face fool you...she was loving her environment in there! Thumbs up Mom!
Precious little buttercup!
After Emily's afternoon nap, we decided to venture outside to survey the damage done from the storm, and get some fresh air.
I couldn't believe my eyes. Big, huge trees were literally snapped in half. 


A lot of clean up was happening at several houses, and these cut up trees were lining the streets.
We got back from our walk around 6:30pm, and much to our surprise, the power was back on! Devin came home from studying shortly after and had fun playing in Emily's kennel with her. And to wrap this one up I'll leave you with 2 pictures that I think are just beautiful of our Emily

1 comment:
She's already learning to play Rook?! Thatta girl! WOW, I cannot believe the damage from that storm! So crazy! And I L.O.V.E. the "habitat" for Emily. How funny. Did you have to buy a bunch of gates and just put them together??
Post a Comment