Monday, July 12, 2010

Childbirthing Class

This past Saturday Devin and I spent 81/2 hours at the Lake Forest Hospital's Women's Center. Why you ask? To learn more about, and prepare ourselved for, the big L&D (labor and delivery) event quickly approaching. All in all it was a good experience, but the 8 1/2 hours could have been condensed to about 4 if you ask us. It was fun to be in a room filled with other expectant moms and dads. Devin did a great job participating in the floor lamaze exercises. This was way out of his element/comfort zone, and it was hilarious to see that it was way out of the other dad's comfort zones too! We learned about anything and everything that accompanies the arrival of a baby. I do feel more at ease about the process to come, and am glad we got a tour of the Women's Center and know exactly what to do when we arrive.
By this point our little baby has assumed her appropriate position (head down) and has a few more weeks of lung development and weight gain before she makes her debut. I am definitely getting REALLY excited to meet her. We have been getting a lot of things checked off our "Things-to-do-Before-Baby-Comes" list, which has brought my stress level down significantly!


At our class, we watched 2 birthing videos; one natural and one c-section. These videos were made in 1970, and so out of date. We watched them at the end of the day, so that has something to do with the extreme immaturity Devin and I both had. Picture it... we're sitting in a room of 11 other pregnant women and their husbands, watching these very graphic birthing videos, and trying so hard not to laugh out loud. We were doing everything in our power to hold ourselves together, which only made us laugh harder. We were like 7th graders in a sex-ed health class!
4 more weeks until I get to experience this....I'm so eagerly looking forward to it {insert extreme sarcasm} but am seriously excited for the little baby we get to meet once it's all over!


2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Oh jen you guys make me laugh! I am so excited. The whole birthing process with McCrae was so awesome. I'd say it was better than my wedding day. LOL. Take in every moment in the five minutes that the actual thing takes place. (Might sound gross but ask for a mirror so you can watch) its really neat to see your own baby be born. If I think about the day I had Crae I seriously tear up. We love you and miss you guys!

Ashley said...

Ha ha, why doesn't that last picture show the belly going down at all? Don't worry, it does. Not as much as you'd like though :) I'm so excited for you to go through this, two of the best days of my life.