Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Sand Dunes and Baby Knox Tranter

2 weeks ago Devin and I took our first camping trip of the year. We went down to "the sand dunes" for an over night trip with Shane and Kim. It was an adventure to say the least. We're in Devin's truck on our way there, and it starts snowing...hard. For those of you that don't already know, I get very cold very easily. I hate being cold! And Devin is the opposite. He gets very hot very easily....and he love the cold! So Devin is a happy camper, and I'm beginning to plan out how I can maximize my heat through out the whole night outside. We brought the mattress from our pull out couch to put in the bed of Devin's truck. So not only we were camping, but we were going to be in the wide open air with no tent lining to break the wind. We did all the usual camping things...hot dogs, marshmellows, s'mores, diet coke...the works. Obviously, I planted myself by the fire the whole night. It came time for bed, and I think it took me about 10 minutes to put on all of my layers. I had a long sleeved shirt, 2 sweatshirts, and a snow coat...along with fleece sweat pants and jeans....with a scarf, thermal socks, and a hood over my head. I tucked myself into my nice sleeping bag (compliments of mom and dad Tranter) and inserted a thick fleece blanket inside the sleeping bag as well. Devin was sweet enough to back his truck right up against the fire, and I slowly but surely went to sleep. Here's where it gets funny. Not only do I have a reputation of getting cold, but I also have to go to the bathroom a lot. So I woke up for my usual night time potty break and braved the cold. Upon my arrival back to the truck, I got all the layers situated again and wriggled my way back into my cacoon...only this time I started getting really claustrophobic. I have never been claustrophobic before, but I have a new found respect for those of you who suffer from this. In my wrestlessness, I woke Devin up, and he tried to calm me down, but I know he thought it was funny. (It wasn't at the time, but it definitely is now.) He likes to say that I "wigged out." Long story short, I ended up going to bed eventually, and Devin is still laughing about it.

The next morning we went out on Shane and Kim's 4-wheeler around the sand dunes. I have been on 4-wheelers before, but never on sand dunes. It was really fun!







Suzy and Dave had their first baby on Sunday March 8th. They named the cute babe Knox. He had a llittle bit of a rough start, but he is coming along nicely, and should be able to go home soon! Dave and Suzy let us go down to the NICU to see him, and he is just so dang cute. Our goal is to be his favorite aunt and uncle...so I'm thinking of framing one of these and sneaking it into his bedroom so he starts to recognize our faces :) Hope you don't mind Suzy!


5 comments:

Pace Adventures said...

Frame on when you are holding him. Then he will know you are his favorite and it is easier for the parents to not see all the cords :) hey i have done the sleeping bag things i understand except i crawled into the end and could not get out and thought i could not breath, next time put a tarp over the pickup bed and tie or bunge down and it keeps the heat in and you do not have to have all the blankets it acts like a little tent and shut the tailgate. oh for camping things or deals i like recreation outlet on state and around 3100 south if going north from 3300 it is on the left they have good deals when clearing things out but i do watch for sales at places and costco has good deals on tents and they make mr. heaters or wait till warm we froze last year when we went with eli and try 4 yes 4 for 2 sleeping bags it ended up being me elis cousin and ashton with on cover on the tent. and we had snow on the ground and i was prego.

Ashley said...

You are such a good wife Jennie! I don't think I would have been so optimistic about camping in March :)

Rob & Sarah said...

you're going to have competition to be favorite aunt and uncle :)

Unknown said...

thanks jennie...i've been so lazy on the blogging :)...where are the sand dunes...it looks awesome and where are pictures from Devin's b-day????

Ashley said...

I've always, always wanted to go riding on the dunes, how fun! Love you always.