Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pedicures and President Uchtdorf

My sister in law Suzy is having her first baby this Sunday. So in efforts to help her go out of her child-less life with a bang, all of my sister in laws and mother in law (really just my sisters and mom) went and got pedicures, and then out to dinner on Tuesday night. It was a real "Girl's Night out!" I just love Sarah, Suzy, Jen, and Mama T so much. I love spending time with them when the whole family is together, but there was something extra special when it was just the 5 of us. Such a sweet memory. Thanks ladies for being such blessings in my life...I love you!




Devin and I are so spoiled. My company has 100 Club tickets to all of the home Jazz games, and I was fortunate enough to receive 2 tickets for last night's Jazz vs. Houston Rockets game. Devin and I got the royal treatment. We got on the elevator, went to the top floor of the Energy Solutions Arena, and was serenaded by a piano player, and smelled the incredible smells of a gourmet dinner. Devin was in heaven! It was a huge buffet with everything from seafood to prime rib and beef tenderloin to mexican to salads and desserts. I think we went back about 3 times. And for the special occasion, we had all the diet coke and Dr. Pepper we wanted :) Devin's favorites were the short stack ribs, mashed red potatoes, and éclairs. My favorites were the mashed potatoes, short stack ribs, and homemade mint oreo cookies. YUM! Oh yeah...the game was a lot of fun too! The Jazz won to take their winning streak to 9 games in a row. Most people normally leave a few minutes/seconds early to beat traffic, but Devin and I did the opposite. We stayed in our seats for a long time just people watching and soaking in the whole experience. We saw Boozer come out and interview with the camera crews, and then Devin decided to participate in a post game shoot out.

While the food and the game was wonderful, one of my favorite parts of the night was seeing and shaking hands with President Uchtdorf (2nd couselor to the Prophet of the LDS church). Even before I was baptized, I have loved hearing him speak and feeling of his goodness and genuine testimony of truths. So here's how it happened. Devin and I were sitting in seats 2 rows back from where Gail Miller always sits (Larry Miller's wife...owner of the Jazz). Devin and I were watching her interact with people as they came and talked to her. Then I heard Devin say, "oh Jennie it's President Uchtdorf!" I was overwhelmed. He was so close, we could read his lips as he and his wife comforted Gail (after the passing of her husband just a week ago). "We pray for you always" was a phrase Devin caught. I was entranced. All of the talks I had heard and feelings I had felt, because of this man, was flooding my mind and my eyes started filling with tears. I know he's just a man, but he is a very special man...a man of God, and I could feel that. Our eyes followed him and his wife back to where they were sitting, and we caught ourselves observing him now and again during the game. Half time rolls around and Devin and I decided to walk to the 100 Club half time room. But instead of walking out the convenient portal, we thought it would be fun to walk in front of President Uchtdorf. There were people all aorund him, so we walked slow :) When we made our way right in front of him Devin looked at me, smiled big, and then turned toward him and stuck out his hand. Uchtdorf shook Devin's hand, and then turned to me and I immediately tried to think of something very profound to say...I mean it's President Dieter F. Uchtdorf...and the phrase, "We just love you so much." came out. He smiled, said, "And we love you too" in his german accent, rubbed my arm, and Devin and I kept walking. Can you believe it? That man has influenced my life immensely, and there we were, able to shake his hand meet him in person. Highlight of my night for sure!

At Dinner


The game of course

Devin's one and only shot

Blurry, but evidence that we were on the floor :)

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

I just have to say I know exactly who's feet are who's in the picture. I could pick those Tranter feet out anywhere. No offense Jen McD! You guys are so spoiled! Anytime you guys cant go to the Jazz game or anything like that... Well lets just say I AM Devins favorite cousin! Miss you guys!

Dave and Jen McDonough said...

I can't believe how spoiled Devie is! First of all, he marries the most fantastic girl in the world and then gets to eat, meet apostles and watch a jazz game all in one night! Love you guys!

{Kim} said...

That is awesome that you got to meet President Uchtdorf! I am jealous. It was awesome seeing you two this weekend. It was a lot of fun despite the cold. Lets get together again soon!

Frances said...

Can I just say, I'm extremely jealous!!! For many reason, you met President Ushtdorf, you shook his hand, and you went to the Jazz game! I've always been a huge Jazz fan, and now living in Houston it's the most torturous thing to listen to Houston announcers while watching a game. But apparently they hate the Jazz like "we" hate the Lakers... it's fun to walk around after a good win and know their announcers are just talking smack because they know they aren't as good... ha ha sorry for the novel, I just got really excited!

Rob & Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, what a fun night! That is really cool that you got to meet him. And you definitely have the hook-up with your work. I'm way jealous. Love you both!

Ashley said...

wow Jennie! I have chills! What an incredible experience! And what cute toe nails! Girls night outs are the best!