I know it's been a few days since the proposal actually happened, but I haven't gotten around to writing a blog about it. Devin and I have been spending a lot of our free time looking for places to live, trying to find a reception site so we can get it booked, and having conversations about what we need to do next to make sure the ball is rolling as it should :) We have set a date, and hope that all the planning comes together and that January 3rd works out for us! It was so strange and fun to sit down in the lobby of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building with Devin and look over the possible times that we could schedule the ceremony.
Ok...so here is the proposal story :)
So friday I took off from work and spent the day with devin. We have been talking about doing a few things outside before winter hits. We wanted to go on this bike ride up to the top of a specific mountain...Suncrest...and then we wanted to take his dad's fishing boat up to a lake about 1 1/2 hours away to fish and cook a dutch oven dinner on a camp fire. So I showed up to his house first thing friday morning for our bike ride. It was a gorgeous morning, and a really fun ride. We got back to his house around 11am, and then started packing up the boat, and preparing our dinner. We were pretty much ready to go, but then Devin said that we had to wait on his dad to get home with the "battery" for the trolling motor on the boat. Little did I know that battery was code for engagement ring! So his dad got back, and we left for the lake around 2:30. The drive was fun...we got to the lake and started fishing. We fished for a few hours. I caught the first and the most fish (2), and Devin caught the biggest fish by far! Right around the time the sun was going down, Devin asked me if I would get the worm box, and find him a worm. We had been fishing with minnows, and Devin said that he wanted to change his bait...so while he was reeling in his line, he wanted me to find him a worm. I wasn't very interested, and said, "Get your own worm." He was so adament about me getting the worm instead of him. So I reached in the worm box and started digging down to the bottom cause that's where he said the worms were. All of the sudden I felt the prongs of a ring and 3 thoughts went through my mind instantly. The first, "what in the world is a ring doing in the worm box?" followed by, "oh my gosh...oh my gosh...this is it...this is the proposal..." and lastly followed by "seriously...did he seriously put my ring in dirt?" He knew right away that I had found it, and he started coming over to where I was on the boat. He was like, "Jennie just open the worm box." I said, "No I don't want to..what is that in there?" And then I finally opened the box again, and there was this really cookie cutter fake ring with dirt all in it. He asked, "so do you like it?" and I didn't know what to say, cause I didn't! haha! And then he started saying all of the nice things that men say before they propose...except mine was extra special cause it was coming form Devin! I don't even remember most of it, cause I was in a daze and having a hard time believeing what was really happening. Then he pulled a new ring box out of his back pocket and opened the box to show me my actual ring. Oh man...it is gorgeous! I love it, and he picked it out all by himself. So after we hugged and I said yes, we just sat there in the boat snuggling, and listening to this mixed cd of our favorite songs that he made, as the sun went down. And we kept repeating, "we're engaged...we're getting married...you're going to be my husband...and you're going to be my wife....we're going to have a kids together..." It was funny. I was laughing and crying...so many emotions. Then Devin brings out a bottle of Martinelli's (sp?) with 2 plastic wine glasses and we made a toast to us. He was cute. Then the sun went completely down, and we realized that we had no light on our boat so it was quite scary trying to find our way back to the dock. As soon as I got back to the car I started making phone calls and sending text messages...and then we went back to his house and told his parents and talked with them for a little while. It was all so surreal! Saturday we got up early and went to the jeweler and talked to him for a couple of hours about all the options. My ring needs to be sized, etc. We then went to temple square and walked around it for a while. Then we decided to watch the Joseph Smith video, and I'm so glad we did. I love being with Devin, especially when it comes to spiritual things. After the video, we went ahead and reserved a date and time while we were down there. So January 3rd @ 3pm is it :) Then we drove around looking for places to live...and that was saturday. Sunday was spent at church and then his house with his parents. We talked with them about exactly how we want the day to go, and what kind of wedding we want it to be. Yesterday was a typical monday besides the fact that I am engaged and have to start making grown up decisions. I started looking online at planning things out and such. I met Devin right after work and we went apartment hunting again, and visited a few reception sites too. And here we are on Tuesday. A little more than 2 months from now I will be Jennie Tranter....no more Jennie Houck! (sorry dad)
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Just in case your all wondering, the fish I caught which was the biggest, was 23 inches and close to 4 pounds! Not that that's important or anything but adds some credibility to the story i guess. It was one memorable day for sure!!
I couldn't be any happier for the two of you!!! Congrats to you both!
Oh DevIE (emphasis on the IE)...I did give you credit for catching the biggest fish... member? :) I love you!
JENNIE!!! I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU! we need to get together and celebrate! let me know a night we can go to dinner and pepper you with questions...AHHH!!! you're getting married!!! yay! i love you!
congts jennie.
Hey Jennie! Congratulations on your engagement, I am so excited for you. It's a good thing I found out you have a blog--now we can keep in touch. You look beautiful as always! :)
Post a Comment