Friday, January 30, 2015

Emmie Girl

After writing about Claire, I have realized that Emily has grown out of a phase that I thought she was still apart of.  Yes, she has her token meltdowns here and there, but for the most part, she is truly a big girl.  I can have real conversations with her about her feelings and her thoughts.  I can reason with her and explain the big picture to her about the sequences of our days so that she understands why we have to do certain things in certain orders.  And she gets it.  She understands and sees the big picture!  If I take the time to explain things, she is 99% likely to comply with and do whatever it is I need her to do to help set the schedule for our day in motion.  I am thankful to be at this point with her.

Emily is a big help around the house.  She is the ultimate cleaner-upper, and prides herself on that title.  She loves making spaces look clean and tidy...and then showing me her accomplishment.  She doesn't like to be dirty and insists on washing her hands after various activities.  She loves make believe and pretending and imagining.  I love over hearing and over seeing Emily orchestrate a make believe world for herself and Claire.  They play incredibly together, and their most beloved play session is after breakfast  (except for her preschool days) while I'm exercising and showering.  They run around the house in their dress up clothes on a grand adventure.  They color and play with play dough.  They make delicious meals at their kitchen set and host tea parties for their dolls and animals...and James.  They ride their bike and scooter from the front play room to my back bedroom...back and forth...and back and forth again pretending to go on trips.  They "read" stories together.  All of this is led by Emily.  She is a sweet big sister to Claire and really does tr to be fair in their play, by taking turns, and offering solutions when Claire wants what She has.  I have found that if I don't get involved with their play, and say, "You two have to work it out", they 99% of the time do work it out and move on without my intervention.  It is going to be a sad day for Claire (and for me!) when kindergarten starts for Emily this coming September.

Emily is involved.  She has preschool 2 mornings a week (Tues/Thurs) from 9:30-12:30.  She has ballet every Wednesday afternoon 12:30-1:15, and gymnastics every Friday afternoon 1-1:45.  She is an active little spit fire and does well in all she participates in.  She is kind and caring and loves to please.

She loves playing hide and seek.  She isn't a big dog/animal lover, but appreciates them from a distance.  (She is my daughter in that respect!)  She has the biggest brown eyes and sweetest smile, and she is the absolute BEST snuggeler.  She is my alarm clock every morning, as she taps on my shoulder, signifying me to scoot over, as she climbs into bed with me for 5 minutes before Claire starts screaming bloody murder from her crib for me to come retrieve her so she isn't left out.  And then James is awake by this point too :)  Emily ADORES James, and loves being left in charge of him.  If I am doing something in one room, and James is in another, she readily offers herself up to be James' "babysitter."  She is patient, attentive and sweet with James.  I will find her reading to him, or helping him play with a toy, or singing to him when he is crying, or softly tickling his face or hands when he needs consoling.  And James adores Emily right back.  They truly have a sweet, sweet relationship.

I only have one semester and a summer left with Emily at home before she starts half day kindergarten in the Fall, and will be gone all morning, every morning.  And mornings are the sweetest times of the day with all 3 of my kids nestled together with me as I play my grown up version of "house".  Relish in this now, Jennie, because I already am missing this phase as I can feel it slipping quickly away,

Sick Emily skipped a morning of school.







She loves having braids in her hair.









She loved it when I straightened her hair.













1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a post! Great update on the kids!