Sunday, October 21, 2012

Escape From Reality

This month Devin has had a very time consuming and demanding rotation; general surgery at Cook County Hospital in the city. He is gone 14 hours a day, and has had to work 1 day a weekend on top of it. BUMMER! His long hours added to this being our last month here in Illinois, and dealing with a lot of loose ends that need to be tied up, has made it a stressful one. So it was even more of an escape from reality when Devin and I spontaneously decided to go to the BYU vs. Notre Dame game on Saturday. Devin found tickets on Craigslist Saturday morning, Sydney graciously and generously came over with Hudson to watch Emily for the entire day, and Devin, Claire and I hit the road for South Bend. 

 It was an absolute gorgeous day; perfect for a football game.
  PhotobucketPhotobucket

One happy man! I am so glad that he got a day of live college football. We haven't been to a game since before he started med school over 3 years ago.
  PhotobucketPhotobucket

Claire was a perfect baby. Didn't fuss at all, and took a cat nap.
  Photobucket

We sat on the very top row of the stadium, and it proved to be a great place for us. We could lean back on the massive cement wall behind us while we swapped Claire back and forth. And we got a great view of the campus when we stood up on the bench and looked over the wall.
    Photobucket

I met up with my cousin Diana after the game. I haven't seen her in YEARS and YEARS...I think since she was a pre-teen. Now she is married and living in South Bend while her husband is getting his Master's from Notre Dame. So good to see her!
  Photobucket

Devin and I love a good road trip, and while driving to South Bend only took 2 hours each way, it still felt like we were escaping the reality of our busy life to go pretend like we were care free! 

And today, we were able to see Devin's Aunt Kristi and Uncle Dwight before they flew back home to Utah.    They came out for the BYU game as well.  Dwight's brother lives about a half hour from us, and we were invited for Sunday dinner. Besides Devin's mom, Kristi and Dwight are the first in Devin's family to meet Claire bear. It was nice to catch up with them and be with family. 

 Both girls are actually looking at the camera!
  Photobucket

No comments: