Emily and I spent the last week of February and first week of March down south. Our trip was timed perfectly, as dad and Mary both had the entire time off work. They are both pilots and when I told them I wanted to come visit for a few weeks in Feb/March, they planned their trips around us, and even scheduled a vacation within a vacation for all of us to head to Mary's beach-front condo in New Smyrna Beach, Florida! So the first 6 days were spent at the beach, and our last week was spent in my hometown just south of Atlanta.
Side note: Can I add that I am very excited that I will not have to be flying with Emily again for a long time? She sure does have a personality and a lot of energy...which doesn't translate well for a quiet, confined airplane experience. I find myself completely anxiety ridden before a flight with Emily, and I have flown with her (by myself) 12 times now since she was born. You would think that I wouldn't be so negatively anticipating each time I have to go through the check in, security, gate waiting, and actual flight the way that I do. And these last two flights, to and from Georgia, did not disappoint in the exhausted, sweaty, I-never-want-to-do-this-again experience. There are no flights in my foreseen future, which is refreshing :)
The first full day we were in Florida, it was over 80 degrees! We spent a lot of time on the beach that day, and Emily absolutely LOVED the water and playing in the sand. She was fearless. She loved chasing the seagulls and running in and out of the water. I didn't get any pictures on the beach, but I did get some great video footage.
Here's Emily and Grammy before heading out to the beach.

Every single day we were there we went for 1 or 2 walks on the sand. It really was such a nice way to enjoy the beach and get some exercise.

Madison drove down from college to spend the weekend with us. It was so great to see her, and I was sad to say goodbye to her after a few days.

We went to a great Italian restaurant, and I was shocked at how well Emily behaved while sitting in her high chair. She is really into playing with utensils, so we stuck a fork and plate in front of her and she was thoroughly entertained.

The main reason (aside from seeing Emily and me) that Madison drove down, was to attend the Daytona 500 Nascar race. Unfortunately, we spent 9 hours waiting for the race to start, and ended up leaving the track disappointed. The race was delayed a few times due to rain, which had us spend 3 hours waiting in the entrance of the Women's bathroom trying to escape. We had a great time together, but Madison left the next morning to get back to school, and wasn't able to see the race that ended up beginning the next night. Instead Mary and dad went and had a great time!


Mary's balcony turned into Emily's play pin the entire time we were there. We just kept the sliding door open, and she went in and out. She loved watching the water, and the people go by.

I came back from a walk on the beach to this. So cute!

Once we drove back to Georgia, we spent a few days in Atlanta with Matt, in his brand new house! We went for a few walks through Piedmont Park and wore Emily out a the play ground every day.
Emily loved Matt's iPad.


We were able to spend an afternoon visiting Michael and mom.

The night before Emily and I flew back to Chicago, Mary, Dad and Lauren watched Emily while I drove to Atlanta to visit some old friends.


I met Laura and Kathleen for dinner. So good to catch up with them and hear about their lives. We grew up in the same neighborhood and have so many memories together. Why can't adult life provide the same kind of freedom we used to have? Such great ladies! And after dinner, I popped into Katey's condo to spend time with her, Alicia and Melanie. Again, another great catch up with girls I love! A great way to end my trip!

And now we are back in Illinois, with 3 months to go until baby girl #2 enters our lives. So many feelings and emotions as I begin to mentally and physically prepare for the next life changer Devin, Emily and I are going to experience at the beginning of June. Excited anticipation...prayerful hope for a healthy baby...wonderment of if I can truly capable of being a devoted mom to a toddler and an infant...but most of all...GRATEFUL for the opportunity to have another precious soul come to our family.

2 comments:
Looks like a great time! Glad you got to see everyone! Love all the pics; as always.
So fun to see all the pictures after hearing about your adventures! But most of all, it's good to have you back in our LF hood:)
Post a Comment