Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Late Night Moment

It was after midnight last night, and I was walking back to bed from our living room. Instead of turning right to go to our room, I decided to take a left and sneak a peek at the little buttercup (something we do every night) before getting ready for bed. As I looked down at Emily sleeping so sweetly with her bear, doggie, and elephant stuffed animals snuggled all around her, I knew what I had to do. I scooped her up out of her crib, and made my way to the rocking chair. She laid her head heavy on my shoulder, and draped her little body on my chest. Her feet were just inches short of reaching my knees. When did that happen? The length of her little body used to not even reach my waist. As I sat there rocking her, hearing her little sleepy breaths in my ear, and feeling her arms around my neck, I was overwhelmed with gratitude for this little life that I was tightly holding. Ever since she turned 1, she has been rapidly growing and learning. She is in such a fun stage right now (I think my most favorite stage yet) and I know it is fleeting. Tears started rushing down my cheeks, and I found myself exploding with love and awe for the gift that Emily has been to our little family these past 15 months. 45 minutes later I placed her softly back in her crib with her animals, and tip-toed out. I loved that time with her. I might just do that every night.



Here is a showcase of Emily's 15 month vocabulary.



4 comments:

Jessica said...

This one got me. I don't even have any kids, and I cried. How sweet it is.

Maddy said...

aww that is so sweet. i love little moments like that and i'm glad you shared :) she's beautiful!

{Kim} said...

Those moments are so precious and are fleeting so quickly. She's grown up so much and is beautiful!

joshhouck said...

you're such a great Mom. I hope I feel the same way about my kids someday!