Sunday, June 28, 2015

"Wreck the Breck!"

I have two older brothers (Josh- 35 and Matt-33), one younger brother (Michael-25) and a younger sister (Madison-22).  Josh lives in Salt Lake and flies for Delta.  Matt, his wife Summer and their three kids, Mercer (8), McRae (6) and London (4 months) live in Atlanta and Matt flies for Delta as well.  Michael lives in Atlanta going to school and Madison just graduated undergrad and is taking a year off from school to get all her ducks in a row before entering a doctorate of physical therapy program hopefully in the fall of 2016.  My dad and his wife Mary are also pilots for Delta, living in Atlanta.  As is everyone, we are all living our own busy lives with our own goals, hobbies, career paths, spouses and children vying for our time.  I always feel "close" to my family even though I only see them maybe once a year.  The last time we were all together was over two years ago for Matt and Summer's Florida wedding in May of 2013.  So, the fact that dad and Mary did a house swap and came up with a cabin in Breckenridge, Colorado that would hold our whole family for 10 days brought quite the anticipation and excitement!  This truly was our first destination, family reunion for the Rick Houck family.  And it did not disappoint!



Madison flew to Chicago to make the 17 hour drive with me and the kids, and oh my goodness how thankful I am that she gave of her time and sanity to help cater to the needs of my kids while I drove!  I definitely had the easier job of driving the van, and it was the perfect venue and opportunity to really catch up with Madison and have those long, deep discussions that only a good road trip can provide.  Love that girl!  She has grown right up before my eyes, and I could not be more proud of the woman she has, and still is, becoming.  While we are in different phases as far as husbands and kids go (I have them; she doesn't yet) I feel like we are finally in the same phase of adulthood conversation, and I am so grateful she's my sister!

Had to be prepared with travel food and kid entertainment!







We stopped in Kearney, Nebraska the first night on the road and Claire shared a bed with Madison.



Once we arrived in Breckenridge, the next 10 days were absolute gorgeous days spent walking, hiking, running, eating, playing games, talking, listening to play lists, lounging, site seeing and just basking in the beautiful back drop of Colorado in June!  I'd say my family is a keeper.  I am so thankful my kids got to spend so much uninterrupted time with their aunts. uncles, cousins, grandpa and grammy.  Such special time that took effort on everyone's part to create, but oh the effort was well worth it!








































































Day trip to Vail.  So beautiful and swanky!























1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great 10 days! So glad you made the effort to come!